The chair that was destined for the skip.

 

The chair in all it’s glory!

This project was probably my favourite of my Summer projects because I did so much work on it!

My uncle rang me randomly one day and said ‘There’s a present in your garage for you’ so I ran to inspect what had been left for me with all sorts of ideas running through my head. As I opened the garage door I was greeted with disappointment at first because in front of me was a broken, dirty skeleton of a dining chair. However, my creativity and determination soon kicked in and I got to work.

I sadly didn’t take a picture of the chair in it’s original state as I was too eager to get started and forgot! (Hopefully I will remember to keep calm and think of my blog in future projects!)

I began by sanding the chair in places, something which I don’t normally do, but the chair was covered in dirt and grime. Then I did a little research on fixing the join of the seat which had come completely away. I used some screws to fix that securely back in to place (and yes, I can use powertools!).

Then came the beloved Annie Sloan paint, which took two coats and was complete within two and a half hours! I also should add that this is the same can used on the previous Chest of drawers and Bedside table, which is great as it keeps my costs down! A coat of the Annie Sloan clear wax brought out the wood fantastically and some distressing with a bit of sandpaper really finished it off nicely.

Then came the most exciting part of the project for me… upholstering the seat! I have never done anything like this before so chose my plan of attack very carefully. I removed the seat by tapping it a few times with a hammer and it just popped out thankfully. I then removed the existing staples which held the old fabric on and cut my fabric to shape. I chose a simple but contrasting pattern to the Old White paint finish on the chair itself and cut it to size. I borrowed my Grandad’s amazing staple gun to fix the fabric into place, in his words it could ‘staple steel if you wanted to!’ so it seemed like it would do the job. I also added some more padding to the seat as the stuff already inside was looking a little worse for wear.

After refitting the seat, my chair was finished! I really loved this chair and would have certainly kept it if my bedroom was big enough! Although this project showed me how easy it would be to create another and I really enjoyed the work I put into it.

I think you will agree thats its a lovely piece and I hope the lady who bought it is very happy with it!

If you enjoy reading my posts then please subscribe by email to receive email updates of new posts!

Much love, Lauren x

Advertisements

About lyates1

23 years young. Experience everything.

3 responses to “The chair that was destined for the skip.

  1. Hi there! I really appreciate your support and your subscribing to my blog! I have recently made the switch to a self hosting site, and unfortunately my followers did not make the switch with me 😦 I’d love it if you could visit my new site and follow me! Thank you for supporting Domestic Superhero! http://www.domesticsuperhero.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 16 other followers

%d bloggers like this: