The Re-vamped Rabbit Lamp

The Floral Rabbit Lamp!

The Floral Rabbit Lamp!

This little beauty started out as one of those projects that begins with good intentions, then sits under my bed in a box for months collecting dust. However this little Rabbit Lamp’s luck changed when I was shifting through some lovely fabrics at my local fabric shop and I saw the one. I knew when it when the pastel blue floral fabric caught my eye and decided that it was destined for my forgotten project.

On arrival home I spread my choice of weapons around me in the conservatory and set to work!

I laid down old newspaper so my Mum wouldn’t get all grumpy that I had gotten paint everywhere and began deconstructing the lamp. Once the lampshade had been removed, I used masking tape to protect the electrical wire and the lampshade stand. You will be happy to know I actually took step by step pictures for this project! Not as many as I should have though because I was too excited to get it finished.

I used my favourite paint (which you should all know by now is…) Annie Sloan’s ‘Old White’ and surprisingly, this only took one coat! Because the Rabbit was originally black, I was convinced I would need two coats. Which is a problem for someone as impatient as me! However, after one coat, the Rabbit had been transformed. Whilst this was drying I set to work on the lampshade. It was good quality and very sturdy so I found it easy to measure the size of fabric I needed. Although I did learn a hard lesson on this step… and it is to ALWAYS double check the size of your fabric before you cut it out. I did not do this and went straight ahead with cutting and found that when I went to wrap the fabric around the lampshade, it fell short by around 2cm!

However, I improvised and decided to cover the gap with a piece of white ribbon so all was not lost! Next came the issue of fixing the fabric to the shade and as I am fairly new to this whole thing, I did not have any fabric glue at my house. I quickly disregarded my usual tool (my Grandad’s epic stapler) and raided the garage in search of something I could use. I can only describe what I found as a spray can of glue, primarily designed for attaching wood and metal together. I decided this would do, even though the can looked older than I was!

The spray glue was horrendous and I managed to stick the fabric to my hands and also my dog, who got too close to the project! However, after some not-so-professional techniques of holding the shade between my knees so I could use both hands, I managed to fix all the fabric down!

Luckily for me the glue dried with no marks and it held fast. Next time I will curb my impatience and buy some fabric glue! After scrubbing my hands raw, trying to get the glue off, I waxed the Rabbit in Annie Sloan’s ‘Clear’ wax and let it dry.

It was dry within half an hour and I carefully re-constructed the whole thing. I hope you’ll agree that even though I cut a few corners, the project turned out well! It now sits proudly in my room and looks fab when it’s turned on.

Love, Lauren x

Advertisements

The bedside table from the Isle of the Wight.

The beautiful bedside table!

I picked this wonderful find up in the same place as my chest of drawers (please see previous post)! I began this project by removing the drawer and the handle, which I decided to keep because it has some lovely detail. I used the Annie Sloan ‘Old White’ paint again seeing as I had some left over from my previous project, plus the fact that you do not need to sand or prime the wood is great for an impatient sort like me.

This was a very easy project to complete and I think you’ll agree that the transformation is fab! I only used one coat of the paint because the grain of the wood came through and really gave it the vintage look. After a coat of the Annie Sloan wax, the bedside table was complete! In a mere 2 hours, which I think was due to me painting outside on a rare sunny Sunday afternoon. I also had a try at distressing on this piece and at first I was very cautious with my sandpaper but soon found that the more I did, the better it looked!

I loved this table very much and used some of my excess wallpaper from when I decorate my room to line the drawer. This meant I just had to keep it! It now resides in my bedroom at home and really sits well against my floral wallpaper. This is one of my favourite pieces that I completed this Summer mainly because I can see it staying with me for a long time!

Much love, Lauren x

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 16 other followers